At present, the demand for cosmetic products containing herbs and natural raw materials tends to increase continuously. As modern consumers are more aware of health and environmental care. Awareness of the health and ecological effects of using synthetic chemical products It is a driving force for the world’s health and beauty trends to move towards more natural ways. Research and development of new products are therefore aimed at reducing or avoiding the use of synthetic chemicals. and increase the use of phytochemicals from herbs which are highly efficient There are no or few side effects. biodegradable naturally and more sustainable
Note : Cosmeceutical cleansing gel and cleansing foam for sensitive skin formulated by dermatologists ready to take care of every problem. visit our website https://facelabs.co.th/
meaning of herbs and phytochemicals in cosmetic science
– Herbs are natural products obtained from plants or animals. and various minerals that can be used as medicine or mixed with other substances according to the drug formula used to treat disease nourish the body or can be poisonous The use of medicinal plants as external medicine in ancient times. Usually prepared by crushing or pounding the plants. and then applied or masked on the skin
– Phytochemicals are naturally occurring chemicals found in plants. It is a substance that nourishes or protects plants from various environmental conditions. In cosmetic production, phytochemicals are added to nourish, restore and become a source of nutrients. Or act as various active substances such as disinfectants or antioxidants. to the skin
The most common herbal form used in cosmetic production is in the form of extracts. which differs from the use of herbal powders that are not extracted and herbal extracts are as follows
unrefined herbs (whole herb)
The herbs used may be in fresh or dried form. and is usually processed by finely chopped or ground into powder before use. The reduction is intended to give the herb more water or skin contact area. It also helps to break down plant cells until the desired phytochemicals can penetrate. However, the use of whole herb powder is less popular as a raw material for cosmetic production because
– A small amount of dissolved phytochemicals The resulting product may be ineffective.
– Product quality control is difficult. This is because the synthesis of phytochemicals within medicinal plants’ cells depends on the season, nutrients in the soil used for planting, and the environmental conditions at the time of cultivation.
– There is a high risk of microbial contamination. In particular, pathogenic microorganisms on human skin, such as Clostridium spp, are often contaminated during unsanitary harvesting and drying processes.
– low shelf life Because herbs are easily degraded from the external environment and by microorganisms.
Herbal extraction is intended to extract the desired phytochemicals from plant cells. By using heat or solvents to dissolve the phytochemicals out. The resulting extract may be in liquid form. essential oil Or it may be in the form of powder as well. If the extract is further dried, the main reasons why herbal extracts are more popular as raw materials for cosmetic production than whole herb powders are as follows:
– Contains high amounts of phytochemicals This is because the extraction process is highly efficient in dissolving phytochemicals from plant cells. And if there is a solvent evaporation process involved, the extract will be more concentrated.
– Can determine whether you want or don’t want a substance by selecting the extraction method Destroyer type and the purification process
– High quality and quality can be controlled. by means of chemical quantitative analysis, such as titration methods. and chromatography, etc.
– Virtually no risk of microbial contamination Especially from extraction with solvents other than water, such as alcohol, glycerine, propylene glycol, apple cider vinegar and oil.
– Long shelf life Because the solvent used for extraction often has properties to inhibit the growth of microorganisms. (preservative properties)
In addition to the form of herbs Selection of extracts from quality and reliable sources, purchasing extracts from plant parts that match the purpose of use. and checking the expiration date of the extract. It is important that the manufacturer should take the first consideration as it will help the use of the extract in the production of cosmetics to be the most beneficial and effective for consumers.